Of all the possible laundry offenders, grease and oil stains are some of the peskiest. Not only do these spots seem to stand out like a sore thumb on your clothes; they’re also notoriously difficult to remove. Removing from cloths can be costly if you go out and purchase a product specifically designed for the task. Try these household products in defense of the pesky stains…
Putting a piece of cardboard between layers of your garment will help you avoid transferring any oil or grease to other parts of the fabric. Use something around the house, like an old cereal carton or delivery box.
- Lather up the stain with water and detergent
- Work in the soap with a toothbrush
- Rinse using water or vinegar, which is a natural and non-abrasive clean
Baby Powder or Baking Soda
Both of them works by pulling oil or grease out of fabric and into itself.
- Remove any excess oil or grease with a paper towel or cloth.
- Cover the grease or oil with the powder
- Remove the powder after a few minutes
- Work in a small amount of dish detergent and scrub inside and out of the fabric
- Wash as usual
WD-40 or Murphy’s Oil Soap
Strangely enough WD-40 can remove oil and grease from fabric
- Cover the stain with the WD-40 or oil soap
- Let it sit for about 20 minutes
- Thoroughly soak the garment in warm water
- Wash as usual
Most greases and oils are semi-solid or solid at room temperature, which means removal requires warm or hot water. It also depends on the fabric… especially tough to treat stains, because grease and oil are attracted to them. And since synthetic fibers are becoming more and more popular, you may find yourself struggling with these annoying grease and oil stains more often.
Look for us behind Jimmy Johns and Speedway on Leestown Rd or Contact us (859-227-5757) for more information
Open 24 Hours | Meadowthorpe Laundromat | 1407 N Forbes Rd | Lexington, KY 40511
About 24 Hr Meadowthorpe Laundromat
24 Hr Meadowthorpe Laundromat is a self serve coin laundry, with a variety of washing and drying options. We have large capacity equipment, perfect for blankets, comforters, sleeping bags, and more. We are owned and operated by a Meadowthorpe resident and have better washers and more drying capacity than ever before. We offer customers a clean, safe, and dependable place to get your laundry clean. We also have Free WiFi, snacks, drinks, and laundry supplies available for your convenience.
>> Learn More