Gently wash unblemished knits in cool water. Always treat wool gently (so don’t wring or twist) when it is wet because it loses some strength in that state. Roll the knit in a clean towel to remove excess moisture and dry flat away from any direct heat after carefully shaping the piece. One wrong move, and you could ruin your favorite sweater. We have a few suggestions and tips to make sure that washing your vintage wool will result in many happy years together…
Steps to Take Care of Vintage Wool Clothing…
- Fill a basin with cold water and plug the drain.
- Add about ¼ of a cup of gentle detergent and swish the water around to create some soap suds.
- Fully immerse the piece of wool clothing and allow it to soak for a few minutes.
- Work the soap and water through the wool garment make sure to NOT twist or wring the article at all.
- Release the plug and allow the water to drain.
- Rinse the article with cold, clean water, again remembering to not twist or wring it at all. Continually rinse the piece of clothing until all of the suds are gone.
- Proceed to roll the wool in an even manner removing all the excess water that may still be in the fibers of the fabric.
- Place the wool flat on absorbent towels. Fix the article of clothing to be straight on the towels.
How To Dry Your Wool Garment
Allow the garment to dry in the air naturally. Always flat dry wool sweaters or other knitwear if possible. Line drying or drying on hangers can cause knitted garments to stretch due to the weight of the moisture contained by the garment, with the result that the garment grows in length and loses its shape. If pins are used to hold the garment in shape, ensure that they are totally rust proof.
It is important to never use hot water during the process hot water will definitely result in shrinkage. Wool is a warm and durable material. To make it last you have to take good care of it. Keep to this process to enjoy your garments for many years.
For Most of Your Other Clothing We Suggest Using…
Our professional strength washers and dryers give you the best clean possible in the least amount of time!
Our 24 Hour Promise
We are here to provide you with:
- Reliable equipment
- A safe & clean location
- Honest &fair pricing
- Vended snack, soda & laundry supplies
- Change machines
- Bi-lingual signs
- Friendly and helpful attendants
- Attendant on duty during peak hours
Our On-Site Equipment
- 6 load washers: 3
- 4 load washers: 3
- 2 load washers: 8
- 1 load washers: 13
- Large capacity dryers: 8
- Medium capacity dryers: 20
Meadowthorpe Laundromat has high capacity washers and dryers that can handle all your household items, clothes, and more!
Look for us behind Jimmy Johns and Speedway on Leestown Rd or Contact us (859-227-5757) for more information
Open 24 Hours | Meadowthorpe Laundromat | 1407 N Forbes Rd | Lexington, KY 40511
About 24 Hr Meadowthorpe Laundromat
24 Hr Meadowthorpe Laundromat is a self serve coin laundry, with a variety of washing and drying options. We have large capacity equipment, perfect for blankets, comforters, sleeping bags, and more. We are owned and operated by a Meadowthorpe resident and have better washers and more drying capacity than ever before. We offer customers a clean, safe, and dependable place to get your laundry clean. We also have Free WiFi, snacks, drinks, and laundry supplies available for your convenience.
>> Learn More